Leasing of student apartments belonging to the Student Union of the University of Helsinki (HYY)

Who can apply?

Students studying full-time for an undergraduate degree at the University of Helsinki can apply for student housing. The housing is not intended for exchange students. Study progress is checked when the lease agreement is drawn up and when it is renewed, whenever you deal with lease-related issues, or when a review of eligibility to live in student housing is carried out. Notice! Pets are not allowed in any of the apartments.

Student apartment properties

Kamppi, Helsinki; Domus Academica, Leppäsuonkatu 9 B (61 apartments)

Located in Kamppi in central Helsinki, Domus Academica has provided student housing in the city centre since 1947. Its central location guarantees that all services are within walking distance and the public transport connections are excellent. The property is home to a wide range of residential and student services. Domus Academica also contains facilities for HYY's various student organisations and recreational activities. There is a lift in the building.

Apartment types and rent:
Studio apartments (rent approx. 600 - 630 €)
Shared apartments, 2 tenants (rent approx. 380 - 400 €)
Family apartments (rent approx. 720 - 800 €)

The rooms are not furnished. Apartment floor plans can be found on the sidebar.

At the moment, all the apartments are rented and we only know approximately one month in advance when an apartment is going to become available.

What kind of apartment can I apply for?

  • If you live alone - Shared apartments (separately for men and women) and studio apartments
  • Couple - familystudio and family apartment two-rooms
  • Families with children - familu studio and family aparment two-rooms

Tenancy period

A tenant can live in a HYY student apartment for a maximum of five years, and this limit is stated in the lease agreement.

In justified, exceptional cases, it may be possible to agree with a tenant on a maximum, fixed-term extension of six months, if the tenant's studies are due to end during the extended agreement.


How to apply

Submit an application online by filling out a housing application form.

Send a housing application

You can apply for an apartment as soon as your study place has been confirmed, but no earlier than four months before you will need the apartment. An applicant may have one application for each type of apartment (studio, family, or sharing with friends) open at a time.

The application is valid for three months.

Be sure to update your application or it is removed from the system. The application can be renewed either by sending email hyy-asunnot@colliers.com or by making a new application and mention in the additional information that it is a revision of the application.

Credit information check

The credit information of any applicant or the guardian of an underage applicant is always checked automatically when an application is submitted. When you apply an apartment, you also give permission to check your credit history or in case of underage applicant the guardians’ credit history.

Apartment offer

We will contact you once a suitable apartment becomes available. However, we only know when an apartment is going to become available approximately one month in advance, so you may only receive an offer shortly before the apartment becomes available. We will send you an apartment reservation by e-mail, so remember to observe your e-mail.

The apartment offer which you receive by email will contain detailed instructions on how to confirm the offer. Please note that due to high demand for rental apartments there will be given a deadline confirm the offer. If you have not confirmed the offer for the apartment within the stated timeframe, we offer apartment to the next in line.

If you do not want to rent an apartment reserved for you, please do inform your cancellation by answering to the sent offer. You can only refuse once from the offered apartment with reasonable grounds. After the second refusal your application will be deleted.

Security deposit

The security deposit for shared apartment is 260 € and for studio, family and friend apartments 500 €. When using a payment from the Department of Social Services and Health Care as a deposit, the tenant must provide a receipt which demonstrates the Department's payment of the deposit to the HYY deposit account.

Please note!

The tenant has no right without the landlord's permission to sublet or assign the apartment or any part of it to another person nor keep permanently people that are not covered by the lease. The lease agreement is personal and may not be transferred to another person. The landlord requires the apartment to be used for student housing. The misuse of a lease agreement will lead to its termination.

HYY student apartments

Terminating your lease agreement

The termination of a lease agreement must always be carried out in writing either by filling out the termination form online, or by sending a written letter. It is not possible to terminate your lease agreement by e-mail or over the telephone.

If you live in a family apartment or share with friends, and you are all moving out, all tenants must fill out a termination form.

The easiest way to terminate the agreement is online.

Termination of agreement

A notice of confirmation will be displayed on the screen.

Once you have given notice, you will receive confirmation of the termination by email and post. If you do not receive confirmation after approximately five business days from the submission of the termination form, please contact student housing leasing.

Termination period

The termination period is always one calendar month. The termination period is calculated from the last day of the calendar month during which the notice of termination was given. When a tenant gives notice of termination concerning his or her apartment, the tenant gives the lessor permission to carry out a moving-out inspection in the apartment.

Home insurance

Take out home insurance to safeguard your home, since your movables are not covered by the property's insurance.

We recommend that each tenant take out home insurance in case of accidents. For example, if there is water damage to an upstairs apartment, and your movable property is damaged, your home insurance is the only way to minimize the damage. Home insurance is also very useful in cases of theft, water damage, or fire.

Contact us!

Contact details for student housing leasing:

Colliers International Finland

HYY student apartment Leasing

Tel. 020 130 20


Send a housing application



PDF icon Domus Academica floorplans

PDF icon Guide to living in Domus Academica


Termination of agreement